|"Miss Bryant's School" is scratched on to this glass plate. A Miss Emma Bryant ran a school in Whitwell House from the 1860s until some time in the 1890s. She is still listed as being here in the 1890 trade directory, but by 1898 she is not listed, although a Miss Mabel Bryant is running a school for girls in The Walks, Huntingdon. The 1881 census returns show that her school in Whitwell House consisted of three governesses and a cook, with two lady boarders (one of whom was her sister Ann) and twelve scholars, all boys between the ages of 7 - 11.
Montagu House can be seen in the distance, and then the Rose & Crown public house in Ermine Street (now the Lanterns private house), and then the house and studio of Arthur Maddison at 74-75 Ermine Street.