|The Elms was designed in 1863 by Robert William Edis ( See Acc 366, p 486). The house was the residence of George William Brown, younger son of Potto Brown of Houghton, and younger brother to Bateman Brown. George was a partner in the family milling business of Brown & Goodman of St Ives and Huntingdon. According to "Hunts Contemporary Biographies"edited by WT Pike (published 1912), he was a prominent nonconformist and philanthropist, and took a keen interest in his garden at The Elms, which was noted for its fine conifers, pines and bulbs. He married Hannah Elizabeth Dixon in 1852, and he died on the 24th October 1901.
This house has now been converted into seven luxury flats, with another fourteen houses built in the grounds