Hierarchy Browser

Skip Navigation Links.
Collapse KAcc5307 - The John Bennett CollectionKAcc5307 - The John Bennett Collection
1 - Typescript of the text of The Fenland Ark, with scripts and lists of slides for talks
2 - Script for The Fenland Ark
3 - Copies of articles relating to the Floating Church
4 - Articles relating to the publication of The Fenland Ark
5 - Papers relating to The Fenland Ark Festival
6 - Editions of The Fenland Ark
7 - Scripts for "Life and Turn of the Century Times in Holme, a Huntingdonshire Village"
8 - Articles on the history of Holme
9 - Articles on the history of Holme
10 - Catalogue of the furnishings of Holmewood Hall
11 - Papers and publications relating to events in Holme village
12 - Papers relating to the "Carpetbaggers"
13 - Copies of articles on the Fens and Fen Drainage
14 - Maps of Holme and of the Fens
Collapse 15 - Miscellaneous photographs and prints of the Fenland Ark and people connected with the floating chapel, of Holme village and villagers, of Holme Fen, of Holmewood Hall, Holme School, Holme Railway Station, Allen's Engine and the Fen Posts15 - Miscellaneous photographs and prints of the Fenland Ark and people connected with the floating chapel, of Holme village and villagers, of Holme Fen, of Holmewood Hall, Holme School, Holme Railway Station, Allen's Engine and the Fen Posts
1 - Print of photograph of the Reverend Horatio George Broke, Curate of East Dereham. The original was taken by R.W. Howes of East Dereham and appeared in The Strand magazine in August 1897. [3 copies, one full-length, and two close-ups]
2 - Print of a photograph of the Diocese of Ely Church Army Van that probably visited Holme Fen (Stoke's Bridge) in May 1898 and joined up with the Floating Church. From the Cambridge Evening News. [3 copies]
3 - Colour photograph taken by John Bennett of a surviving example of a railway carriage at Ramsey St. Mary's, on an unclassified road just south of the parish church. The Reverend Broke had originally considered using an old railwy carriage attached to a barge for the Floating Church
4 - Interior of the Floating Church [5 copies]
4a - St Withiburga's - The Floating Church of Holme, moored at Allen's Engine, with the congregation about to enter the church [3 copies]. This image was entitled "Coming to Worship" in the Strand magazine article of 1897
6 - The Floating Church at the Engine, copied from a photograph in The Strand magazine of August 1897. The man in the bowler hat is probably Mr Gossie Langley, the caretaker, and the Rootham sisters are on the deck. [3 copies]
7 - Close-ups of the Floating Church at the Engine, as in 5307/15/6. The girls on the deck include the three Rootham sisters, members of the St Withiburga's Choir, and the man in the bowler hat could be "Gossie" Langley, the caretaker. [3 prints]
8 - The Floating Church at Stokes' Bridge [5 copies]
9 - Photograph of the Floating Church baptism card for Doris Allen, daughter of Walter Allen of Allen's Engine. The Reverend W.O.E. Oesterley, who often helped in the parish, performed this baptism on 23rd September 1900
10 - Print of Dorothy Broke, daughter of the Reverend George Broke, as a baby.
11 - Colour photograph of Mrs Lilian Robinett (nee Wade) aged 89, taken on the 10th September 1980. Mrs Robinett lived at Black Ham Farm as a child, and could remember the Floating Church
12 - Print of The Floating Church being towed by the horse Boxer. The original photograph appeared in The Harmsworth Magazine in an article "Churches in Queer Places" by George Bedford, c1900
13 - Close up of the horse Boxer from the print of The Floating Church being towed by the horse. The original photograph appeared in The Harmsworth Magazine in an article "Churches in Queer Places" by George Bedford, c1900
14 - Close up of the barge from the print of The Floating Church being towed by the horse Boxer. The original photograph appeared in The Harmsworth Magazine in an article "Churches in Queer Places" by George Bedford, c1900
15 - Print of Messrs. Blackman, Sturton, Faulkner, Odom, Jackson and Ewert relaxing on the roof of the Floating Church
16 - Unidentified print of a photograph of parishioners on the Floating Church, and swimming in the river. Possibly taken at the same time as 5307/15/15, as two deck chairs can be seen on the roof of the barge
17 - Print of William Starling, the builder of the barge, on his 90th birthday. Taken from the Peterborough Advertiser, 8th May 1934
18 - Colour photograph of the grave of the Reverend George Broke in Holme Hale churchyard, Norfolk. Taken by John Bennett
19 - Colour photograph of the memorial tablet to the Reverend George Brokeand his wife Mary in Holme Hale churchyard, Norfolk. Taken by John Bennett
20 - Print of Holme Hale Hall, Norfolk, the house inherited by Mrs Broke and where the Reverend George Broke lived from 1914. From a photograph taken by Mrs Broke
21 - Photographs of two water colours of cottages at Pringle Bank, looking south, painted in 1856. Photographs taken at the Silver Jubilee celebrations in Holme in 1977. [4 copies]
22 - Coloured postcard of St Giles Church, Holme
23 - Print of the interior of St Giles Church, Holme after the reredos had been istalled behind the altar. It is a memorial to William Wells and to the Reverend Laurie,the Vicar who preceded the Reverend George Broke
24 - Coloured photograph of Holme, with the church in the distance. This is the same view as the earlier print, 5307/15/25
25 - Print of Holme, with the church in the distance. This is the same view as the later photograph, 5307/15/23
26 - Print of Holme village, with the church in view at the end of the row of cottages
27 - Prints of Keeper's Cottage, Holme, looking westwards. The cottage stood in North Park, Holmewood, and was demolished in the 1950's. Original photograph from the Peterborough Advertiser. [2 copies]
28 - Prints of The Spinney, Holme. The school and the church can be seen in the background. The original photograph was taken by Mrs. Broke. [3 copies]
29 - Postcard of Short Drove, Holme, from an original photograph taken by Mrs Broke. [2 copies]
30 - Coloured photograph of Short Drove, Holme.
31 - Photograph of Church Street, Holme, looking South. Holme Farm is on the left
32 - Print of The Railway Arms public house, Railway Arms Corner, looking NW along Station Road. Mr Frank Lough and his dog are standing outside the building
33 - Photograph of Orchard House, Church Street, Holme
34 - Colour photograph of the bollard on the wall at Orchard House, Church Street, Holme
35 - Photograph of the houses that replaced the estate workers' cottages in Church Street, Holme
36 - Colour photograph of wreaths at the foot of the War Memorial, Holme
37 - View of the rear of Holmewood Hall, Holme
38 - Colour photograph of a wall and an iron hanging basket, Holmewood Hall, Holme
39 - "Carpetbaggers" loading munitions, Holmewood Hall, Holme
40 - Copies of photographs [3] of Holme School and pupils, showing the new infants' extension, which was built at the instigation of the Reverend George Broke
41 - Postcard of Holme School
42 - Print of a photograph taken by Mrs Broke of the School Van, which collected and returned children to the Fen and also brought them to Sunday School [2 copies]
43 - Photograph of the plaque on the school building at Holme recording details of the bequest of the School Van by Lady Louisa Wells, wife of William Wells, in 1891
44 - Photograph of Holme School
45 - Photograph of Holme Station. A Class A4 engine leading an up express is passing through the station, and a Ramsey freight train (possibly a J6 class locomotive)at the Ramsey bay platform. Photograph taken from the old signal box. Also a photographic enlargement of the express engine.
46 - Photograph of Holme level crossing after the erection of the automatic gates.
47 - Colour photograph of a High Speed 125 train crossing the Fen at Holme
48 - Colour photograph of a mechanical railway signal in a Mr Hill's garden
49 - Print of the G.N.R. Wharf at Holme being cleaned out. Sub Ganger A.E. James is on the extreme right of the photograph
50 - Photograph of Allen's Engine, showing the three pumping stations: steam, diesel and electric. The photograph was taken from the Engine Drain looking east and shows the twin buildings to the left which housed the original and second pumping plants. The central building housed the 1924 diesel plant, and the latest station is lower down to the right. With a smaller copy of the original photograph
51 - Print of Allen's Engine
52 - Postcard (and three prints) of the Holme Lode drain being cleaned out.in front of Allen's Engine. The men may be German Prisoners of War. This view shows the engine house without the extension.
53 - Print of the Holme Lode drain being cleaned out.in front of Allen's Engine. The men may be German Prisoners of War. This view shows the engine house without the extension., and is a virtulally identical view to 5307/15/52
54 - Print [2 copies] of the Holme Lode drain being cleaned out by German Prisoners of War. This view was taken from Engine Farm
55 - Photograph of the Engine Drain looking SW near Allen's Engine. The building on the left is Mr Fielden's boathouse. Engine Farm is in the distance near the trees. A steam engine is near the house on the right, working the temporary pump
56 - Print of an unidentified bearded man with a shovel standing outside the door of an engine house
57 - Two colour photographs of Johnson's Point on the opposite bank of the Old Course of the River Nene. Photographs taken by John Bennett
58 - Colour photograph of The Engine. The second engine house stands in front of the Engineer's House. To the right is the old course of the River Nene. Photograph taken by John Bennett
59 - Colour photograph of the Diesel Pumphouse and the Electric Pumphouse at The Engine. Engineer's House. The girder in front of the diesel pumphouse marks the outfall of the old pumping station. Photograph taken by John Bennett
60 - Colour photograph of The Engine looking east. The electric pumphouse is in the foreground with the diesel pumphouse (1924) behind. The engineer's house is behind the trees. Photograph taken by John Bennett
61 - Colour photograph looking towards Engine Farm from The Engine. Photograph taken by John Bennett
62 - Colour photograph of a concrete slab which was once on the top of The Engine chimney. It now lies on the ground on the site of the Engine Pumping House. It reads "Aug. 14 1933" and "Jack Butler". Photograph taken by John Bennett
63 - Colour photograph of the Engineer's House at The Engine. Photograph taken by John Bennett
64 - Colour photograph of the view towards The Engine from Engine Farm. Photograph taken by John Bennett
65 - Print of four men standing beside Holme Fen Post , looking NW. The man standing second from left is Walter Allen. The photograph was taken not later than 1913 (and probably between 1910-1913)
66 - Photograph of the cast iron columns supporting the granary at Park Farm which match the Holme Fen Post
67 - Colour photograph looking north over what was the bed of Whittlesey Mere. Photograph taken by John Bennett
68 - Enlargement of a photograph of the Wade Family taken at Black Ham Farm, Holme Fen.
69 - Print of Holme Vicarage, with the Broke children playing cricket in the garden. The original photograph was taken by Mrs Broke
70 - Print of a group of children, probably from Holme Sunday School. Dorothy Broke is third from the left in the back row. The original photograph was taken by Mrs Broke
71 - Print of Joe Whybray, an inhabitant of Holme, with his grand daughter, outside 13 Church Street. The original photograph was taken by Mrs Broke
72 - Print of the Allen family of Allen's Engine. Walter Allen is in the engineer's uniform provided by the estate and which was worn by the men at the pumping station. The original photograph was taken by Mrs Broke
73 - Print of Jabez Knighton and his first wife Mary Ann Smith, married 16 July 1883
74 - Print of Ernest Jabez Knighton
75 - Print of Sarah, sister to Ernest Jabez Knighton
76 - Print of John (Jack) Robinson, born 1866, and his wife Elizabeth (Lizzie) Wade Rhimes, born 1868, taken on their 60th Wedding Anniversary
77 - Print of "Grandad" Robinson's mother, Emma Foreman (1847-1930), who was married to Robert Robinson (1844-1915)
78 - Copy of the Knighton family tree, from the children of Samuel and Elizabeth Knighton, born in the eighteenth century, to children of Derek and Christine Withers, born in the 1980's
79 - Twelve photographs of the Service at the Engine House and on the banks of the River during the Festival Week
80 - Two photographs of the Pets' Service outside Holme Church
81 - Photographs of Holme level crossing from the east. The crossing barriers were erected in 1977. "Cuckoo" Sansby is approaching the level crossing in a Fiat car
82 - Two photographs of a senior citizens' evening buffet tea at Holme
83 - Two photographs of the Holme Village Jubilee Trail inaugural walk
84 - Photograph of Holme Village"It's a Knockout" organisers - Ian Birchall, Terry Snitch, Sandy Snitch and Mr and Mrs H Watson
85 - Photograph of Mr and Mrs LT Lough, judges for the floats on Jubilee Day
86 - Photograph of Mrs R Stacey and Mrs Pridmore at the Silver Jubilee Gala, with the Bliss Float behind
87 - Photograph of the Youth Club Float at Holmewood Hall
88 - Two photographs of the St Giles Junior Group Float, winners of the Float competition. .
89 - Photograph of Bill Ayres and his brother Jim in front of their coal lorry
90 - Photograph of the Remembrance Day Service at the War Memorial, Holme
91 - Photograph of Tom Chance, the postman
92 - Photograph of Allen's Shop in Holme in Silver Jubilee Week. The shop closed on 1 September 1977
93 - Photograph of the Vicar with Brownies and Guides outside Holme Church at theQueen' Silver Jubilee Service
94 - Photograph of the "Village of the Past" Exhibition at St Giles Church, Holme, with Mr Les Lough, Mrs Johnson and Mrs Phil Henderson
95 - Photograph of the "Pearly Princess of Woolwich" outside Holme Church
96 - Photograph of the "Pearly Princess of Woolwich" inside Holme Church at the harvest festival. , with Simon and Derek Wren and Rose Stacey
97 - Photograph of the British Legion, Guides and Brownies parading on Remembrance Sunday at Holme
98 - Photograph of two "Flora Dora" girls, Melanie Wren and Sara Hardoke, outside Holme Church
99 - Photograph of Holme Church Sunday School Club children
100 - Photograph of Holme Church
101 - Photograph of the Pets' Service outside Holme Church
102 - Photograph of the Saturday mid-day bus in Holme
103 - Photograph of the Rogationtide Procession, Church Street, Holme
105 - Four photographs of Holme Fenland Ark Festival
106 - Photograph of Holme Church Bazaar, the Hot Burger stall
107 - Photograph of unidentified children around the maypole outside Holme Church
Expand 16 - Photographs of late 19th and 20th century Holme, compiled for the Queen's Silver Jubilee Celebrations in 197716 - Photographs of late 19th and 20th century Holme, compiled for the Queen's Silver Jubilee Celebrations in 1977
Expand 17 - Photographs and prints of the Queen's Silver Jubilee Celebrations in Holme17 - Photographs and prints of the Queen's Silver Jubilee Celebrations in Holme
Expand 18 - Carousel of 51 slides to illustrate the Fenland Ark talks given by John Bennett18 - Carousel of 51 slides to illustrate the Fenland Ark talks given by John Bennett
Expand 19 - Carousel of 76 slides to illustrate Holme history talks given by John Bennett19 - Carousel of 76 slides to illustrate Holme history talks given by John Bennett
Expand 20 - Two boxes of 47 slides of Holme, Holmewood Hall,  and of the Carpetbaggers and the remains of their buildings at Holmewood Hall20 - Two boxes of 47 slides of Holme, Holmewood Hall, and of the Carpetbaggers and the remains of their buildings at Holmewood Hall