Record

CalmRefNoKCB/2/CL/7
Reference numberCB/2/CL/7
TitleCommittee papers
DescriptionThis series consists of working papers held by the town clerk relating to and informing committee business comprising:

Borough Rate Committee papers relating to disputes with the University, 1849-1887

Commons Committee legal case papers relating to access rights and upkeep of the Commons, 1841-1907, and papers relating to the acquisition of land at Fen Ditton for a new cemetery, 1841-1907

Entertainments Committee sub-committee papers relating to the International Exhibition, 1861-62, the Royal Agricultural show, 1874-1894; the Diamond Jubilee celebrations, 1897; and the Coronation of Edward VII, 1902

General Purposes Committee papers relating to the Fire Brigade and Police Force, 1827-1895

Guildhall and Planning Committee papers relating to enlargements to the Guildhall, 1832-1880

Lease Committee papers including a dilapidation report of RR Rowe on the Nags Head Inn, Albion Row, 1873; sale of land in Barton Road to Clare College, 1874-76; land in the Botanic Gardens, 1853; sale of lease on the Chip-Axe public house, Butter Row, 1859-60; report and specification of repairs for the Arcade, St Andrews Hill, 1884; properties at Castle End, 1881-83; property on Castle Street, 1868-71; slaughterhouse and other properties in Corn Exchange Street, 1876-1884; Black Swan Public House, Guildhall Street, 1860-61; Castle Inn, Guildhall Street, 1873-76; property on Honey Hill, 1873-76; Kings Mill, 1853; property in King Street, 1873-74; conditions for letting a house on Market Hill, 1851; property on Market Street, 1875-76; National School in St Peter's Parish, 1852-54; Newnham Wharf, 1851-1871; The Bell Public House, Peas Hill, 1859-1883; property on the Quayside, 1865-89; Llandaff House, Regent Street, 1852; property in Shelly Row, 1852; statement and memorandum relating to lease on the Swan's Nest, 1848-49; the Anchor Public House, 1859-60; lease and plan of land in Victoria Road, Nov 1873-Mar 1874; conditions for letting the Warwick Arms, 1861; compulsory purchase of 3 messuages in Wheeler Street, 1859-60; the Woolpack estate, 1853-66.

Market Committee papers relating to the enlargement of the Market Place, the relocation of the Cattle Market and the building of the new Corn Exchange, 1840-1887; the Market Street Improvement, 1886-87; and compulsory purchase of 34-35 Union Street, 1866-73.

Parliamentary Committee Papers relating to waterworks legislation, 1851-1889, bills for stopping up roads in the Borough, 1832-1905; rating disputes between the Corporation and University, 1850-1886; and electricity supply, 1925-1935.

Library Committee correspondence, 1931-1936; fire-brigade correspondence, 1913-1921; Unemployment committee correspondence, 1921-1935; Watch Committee correspondence, 1907-1937, and police reports, 1907-1924 and Town Clerk memorial committee papers, 1866-69.

These papers remain in the original bundles as deposited by the City Council with Cambridgeshire Archives in the 1970s. They have been arranged within their original bundles in chronological order and the original title prefixed with the name of the main Committee dealing with the issue.
Date1832-1936
CreatorNameMunicipal Corporation of Cambridge
RepositoryCambridgeshire Archives
Add to My Items