|View of Newtown, Huntingdon, looking across the fields from the river. The Sun Public House can be seen on the left end of the row of houses along Hartford Road. The Roman Catholic Church stands slightly back from the main terrace of buildings. This part of Newtown was built at the turn of the 19th/20th century to house an influx of Irish immigrant workers. It was built on a grid pattern, with South Street facing the Hartford Road, and West, East, North and Cross Streets behind. Most of the Irish workers were Roman Catholic, and this led to the building of Huntingdon's first permanent Catholic Church on the site of the original Catholic Church. It was dedicated to St Michael the Archangel, and was an iron structure which had been erected in 1872. It seated a congregation of about 90 persons. The new Catholic Church, which still stands in Newtown, was built in 1901 by C. Temple Layton Esquire of Brampton. It is built of brick, with stone facings in the Norman Style,and can seat a congregation of about 150.