|Title||Huntingdon Hospital and Fountain|
|Description||Huntingdon County Hospital and the drinking fountain. The fountain was unveiled by the 8th Earl of Sandwich in memory of the 7th Earl in 1889 - it was of terracotta and designed by Eddis. It no longer exists, and its fate remains a mystery. It was believed to have been removed in the early 1960s by the Borough Council, possibly because it was considered to be unsafe and in a state of disrepair. Local tradition has it that the stone work was removed either to the council depot at Godmanchester railway station, or to a council depot in Ermine Street, near the Iron Bridge. When this latter depot closed, it may have been taken to the Cow Lane tip in Godmanchester and dumped. See articles in the Hunts Post of 30 April and 7 May 2014 The hospital was built in 1853 and closed in the 1980s. It has now been converted to retirement flats. The Maddison & Hinde order book records that a photograph of the hospital was taken in the 1880's.|
|CreatorName||The Whitney Collection|
Show related Persons records.
|F/0009||Montagu; family; of Hinchingbrooke House; Earls of Sandwich||11th Century-Present|
|P/0058||Montagu; Lord; Edward George Henry (1839-1916); 8th Earl of Sandwich; of Hinchingbrooke House||1839-1916|
|P/0057||Montagu; Lord; John William (1811-1884); 7th Earl of Sandwich; of Hinchingbrooke House||1811-1884|