|Description||Another image of the exterior of Brampton Park House after the fire. Two policemen and possibly Benjamin Beasley stand surveying the damage.|
Brampton Park House was burnt to the ground on the 24th January 1907. It had been a magnificent mansion, and early images of the house can be seen elsewhere among the Whitney Collection. At the time of the fire, the house was owned by the Duke of Manchester and occupied by a Mr Benjamin Beasley, who ran a school here for those afflicted by stammering and other speech impediments. Again, many images of his pupils and speech days, and of Mr Beasley, can be found in the Whitney Collection. According to the Hunts Post, the fire started in a upstairs box room, and by the time the smoke was noticed by two gardeners, the fire had already taken hold. The fire brigade was summoned from Huntingdon, but by the time the horse-powered pumping engine arrived it was clear the most of the house was doomed. Mr Beasley was distraught, and died a few days later in the George Hotel in Huntingdon.
That part of the house that was saved was until recently the Officers' Mess at R.A.F. Brampton