|Title||The Huntingdonshire Marathon Race.|
|Description||The finishing line in the grounds of Hinchingbrooke House of the Huntingdonshire Marathon Race, showing competitor number 14, Albert Poulter of Newtown, Huntingdon and from St Neots Harriers Club, crossing the line. |
The Marathon took place on the 5th May 1909. The race was started at 2 p.m. from Ramsey Church by Lord de Ramsey, and continued through Warboys, Oldhurst, St Ives, the Hemingfords, Godmanchester and Huntingdon, eventually finishing in Hinchingbrooke Park, Huntingdon. According to the programme for the event (Accession 3539) the gardens of Hinchingbrooke Park were to be open to the public (admission 6d.) from 2-4 p.m, and the Raunds Silver Prize Band played in the afternoon and in the evening (for dancing). Proceeds from the race were to go to Huntingdon County Hospital.
Fifteen competitors took part in the race, all of whom had to have lived in the county for at least three months and be bona fide amateurs. Another of the rules was that "no competitor is to be allowed to take any drugs to brace up flagging energies...each competitor will have to find his own refreshments and run at his own risk!"
The Olympics had been held in London in the previous year, and since then marathon racing had grown in popularity. However, the organisers of the Huntingdonshire Marathon believed they were the first in the country to hold a county marathon.
|CreatorName||The Whitney Collection|
Show related Persons records.
|F/0004||Fellowes; family; of Ramsey Abbey; Barons de Ramsey||1660-Present|
|P/0039||Fellowes; Lord; William Henry (1848-1925); 2nd Baron de Ramsey; of Ramsey Abbey||1848-1925|