|Description||A studio portrait of a Mr Richardson, sitting beside a table on which four books have been placed. It is not possible to identIfy this gentleman - various men with the surname Richardson can be found in the 1869 Post Office directory, including a Mr Robert Richardson of The Waits, St Ives, a Mr George Richardson, builder and contractor of Hartford Road, Huntingdon, and a Mr John Richardson, reporter and insurance agent, of New Town, Huntingdon.|
It would be nice to think that it is a photograph of the builder George Richardson. His father Edmund Richardson was in partnership with Charles Raikes Maile, and they built many buildings in Huntingdon, including the recently demolished militia barracks. After his father’s death in 1861, George entered into the business, which was still known as Maile & Richardson. They were the builders of Trinity Church, and George’s ledger covering the period c1867-c1890, which was recently discovered in the attic of a house in Huntingdon, contains the accounts for the building of the church as well as many other buildings in the town. It has now been deposited in the Archives (Acc 5667).